Top Ad 728x90

31 December 2013

, , , , , , , , ,

Looks Don't Matter (A.K.A. You're-Ugly-But-I-Love-You-Anyway)

Gee, how lucky I am to be loved by this beautiful motherfucker when I look like I could play Smeagol minus all the CGI!

"Looks don't matter." What a beautiful thing to say, and much more to hear from your lover, especially when you weren't blessed with drop-dead gorgeous looks. It makes one feel truly loved, appreciated, accepted, and fuzzy and tingly on the inside. It makes one think "Gee, how lucky I am to be loved by this beautiful motherfucker when I look like I could play Smeagol minus all the CGI!"

      Image source: www.fz09.org

In all seriousness, though, this phrase gets thrown around quite a lot, for the most part by people with partners who scored average or lower on the looks department. This makes me feel uneasy, because admittedly, I look fairly average myself (but this is only because my hot-damn good looks are ruined by my god-literally-damned facial expressions [I s*** you not, you would not want to be next to me when I'm laughing really hard for fear of getting sucked into the black hole of gums and odd rows of teeth that is my mouth]). There is no reason for alarm, though, because looks don't matter, right?

Or should they?

I'm going to muster up every ounce of audacity I have within me to bluntly say yes, looks SHOULD, and DO matter. "But Author-san, how dare you say that!? You said it yourself: you're an ugly bastard!", I hear you saying. Well, let me clear up a few things for you. 1.) Just because I'm not half as good-looking as I make myself out to be, does not mean I have no right to choose how my partner should look. 2.) Even if your lover says she's cool with the fact that you look like hammered s***, it doesn't mean you should just accept that fate and not care about your looks at all. 3.) I did NOT say I'm an ugly bastard, you little s***. I said I'm pretty okay-looking until my face distorts to reflect my emotions. HUGE difference there (or so my momma told me).

                                                                                                   Hollywood Reporter

And when I say okay-looking, I mean this one up here. Yeah, I'm kinda Ryan-ish.  

Now before you go into a hissy-fit, screaming "I'm fine with the way my boy/girlfriend looks!", I'm going to explain why I strongly assert that looks do play a part in selecting your partner. If you read and understood carefully (which for your sake I hope you did. Don't want you reading through all that crap again), I never once claimed that GOOD looks are important (resist that urge to check back. I really didn't, I promise!). See where I'm going with this? No? Sigh. What I'm trying to say is, having a baby-boo with a killer-or-thriller smile all boils down to /personal preference/. Wow. Much revelation. Such realization. Very profound.

Think of it this way: Pretend you're a good-looking person (that's all you can do, really) and that your girl/guy is so-so. People will tell you that you're not a good match for them, looks-wise. You shrug them off and say "but that's just, like, your opinion, man," and you take a look at your sweetheart and you see the most beautiful thing you've ever laid your eyes on. People will now think you're crazy, or under some potent love potion's spell, but in the end, you don't give a rat's ass to what they say anymore. It is not them that you're in a relationship with, but that sexy little thing pigging out on that Big Mac, slobbering all over its face. It's not like there's some sort of criteria to determine if a person is universally good-looking. Every person will have their own preferences. You might be more charming than Leonardo DiCaprio, but I bet my left testicle that someone out there will still think you're an abomination to mankind. To better explain my point, here's a few more cliched lines: "Love is blind," and "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." And maybe "One man's trash is another man's treasure (that is what you are~)."

So the next time you hear someone say that "looks don't matter, I'm in love with my honeybear <3", do me a favor and knock them in the gabber to free them from their delusions, because honestly, I can't think of anyone in their right mind who'd date anyone they don't find attractive, according to their tastes of course. Well, except if the said person has s*** tons of money. Can't argue with that.

TL;DR. looks, believe/admit/realize it or not, actually matter and have a significant, if not huge part in relationships working. However, it all boils down to your brain thinking that your sweetiepie is a thing of beauty when the rest of the world thinks otherwise.

Top Ad 728x90