Top Ad 728x90

29 July 2013

, , , , , , , , ,

The Perks of Having a Nice Cover


Him from Powerpuff Girls as Palahniuk's new model

Because idiots are rampant on the bookstores these days (including me), you can gain gazillions of money (pathetic hyperbole is intended!) by writing lorem ipsum dolor in the mid section of your generic story and sticking a kickass design on its cover. Read the stuff I wrote during my college days about book cover designs. I'm warning ya', read it!


Last week, I came across this “I think” one of a kind novel written by Chuck Palahniuk entitled “Damned” while I am aimlessly scouring the National Bookstore, just browsing for a good read. Well, I was like “OMFG, is this for real? The author of the effin’ Fight Club, Tell-All, Pygmy and Snuff?” (Yeah I know, this reaction is a bit unrealistic and a bit exaggerated at the same time especially when you personally know me, but let’s assume it this way. After all it’s just for situational purposes only and it doesn’t even matter if it is real or not)… I immediately put down Tim O’ Brien’s “The Things They Carried” like I immediately did when I grabbed the book entitled “Hush hush” because it fooled my clever eyes by its enticing book cover design (Damn those Twilightesque novels, they fill the sacred air of the Bookshops!). Yeah, I was like “I should buy this one; I know for Christ’s sake that I would love it” (meh, believe it or not, I whispered that for real). But first, I glanced at its price.”299 pesos? Man, such a perfect deal for a beauty like this!”… What a heck, I immediately rushed it into the counter. But, while I am in the middle of the line, I came into some sort of enigmatic realization between my three psychological entities and after a bit of self-reconciliation, I returned the book into the shelf where it belongs.

Why did I do that? Why would I turn down a very potential one hell of a read? What is this amorphously dark reason I came to realize, so strong that it drove me back from getting “this” very novel that I suspiciously believe, deserves some reading?

What is it? It’s the cover design.

Marketing a new book is indeed a tough chore especially for the new writers. And one of their important mediums to gain readers is to have a very inviting cover design. It has to be balanced. Sometimes, too much colors and flashes could possibly draw the serious readers away. But when you flip the coin, when the design is a bit scarier than usual, here comes the dilemma of scaring off those faint of hearts. I know this because I am a graphic artist and I am currently practicing this area of design. I’ve just recently read from centre.taleist.com.au a survey that states that the authors who spends more money for their book cover design gains 18% more than those who not. But then, I noticed that most people think book cover designs are just an unimportant part of the book (Do not judge the book by its cover? What the heck, are you trapped in the classical period my friend?). And that is the very reason why I wrote this article: to open the eager eyes of those people who think this way. I mean, hey… if book cover design is really not that important, then why bother putting stunningly awesome designs in it? Why don’t just cover them with plain hard cover with its title stamped bold over there. Imagine yourself walking inside a bookstore searching for a good science fiction novel because you feel so anakinic, darth vaderic or yodanic, yodaic, yodastic yo… whatever. See how boring it is? To be welcomed by those awesome novels wrapped up with a modulish, modulous, modulic cover?… or whatever you call it, I just made up those terms anyway… whatever. Several new writers that became my previous clients told me that stuffs. Yes, a brief and meaningful back cover teaser would sometimes do the trick. But if you want to make some noise in a silent bookshelf, man you got to work that boring cover out.
Look! Awesome!... Emma Watson's name is in it!

You see, the book cover design plays a very vital role in marketing the book whether it is the hardcopy version, or in the eBook version (or shall I say especially in eBook because customers see the books only in thumbnail size, that is why it is very important to have a very catchy cover design; more importantly for the new and unrecognized writers who wants to make a big name in the current literary industry).Oh yeah, hell I know that Chuck Palahniuk is an iconic writer. But, the cover of his new book “Damned” is a bit “creepy” in several ways I can point out but I would never certainly point out, at least not all in this article. “Creepy”, because: one, a vector photo of stereotypical Satan is in the cover. And two, it is drawn in a very obvious way that even a third grader can easily tell that it is clearly “Satan” in a glance. The image looks kind of like a villain from powerpuff girls who have an impish look. I’ve even read several book reviews about it and some people also got intimidated by its cover. I mean, hey! I don’t want to roam the surface of the earth while everyone around sees me holding a book with this kind of cover. They might misinterpret this one. They might think of me as “Oh! Look at this guy; he might be the kind of person who wakes up 3 o’clock in the morning because he ought to draw a pentagram in the middle of his living room while wearing a black robe. He reads “that” book he is currently holding to learn how to summon Satan because he wants him to fix his broken refrigerator blah… blah… blah”. See, I know that because I’ve already experienced that similar scenario several times when I was reading a copy of the book entitled “Know Her More” (it is a book about women. Like a module or something to understand them better, not only in sexual areas, but also in their emotional and physical parts. Yeah I know it’s pathetic for god’s sake). It has a book cover with some sexy women in it. One good example is this one time when I was with my uncle riding a multicab. My uncle in front of me laughs inwardly every time he snatches some glimpses while I’m reading it. I asked him when I think he finally looked obvious and he just replied: “Kid, you know? G-Spot is in the upper front of the hole… being on top would do the trick! Man... Know her more! Hahaha, so hilarious!”…Most people like to assume and throw several miscalculated judgments whenever they have zero idea over something.  They always generate “facts” from their “theories” rather than doing the opposite. Regarding to the “Damned”, I ended up getting the eBook version of it.

Boner Alert!
Book cover design makes the first impression so if you are a self-publisher, you got to be careful. Chuck Palahniuk’s “Damned” is obviously intended in a selected range of readers that’s why it has a very peculiar design. Although it is not as famous as his previous creations, he still succeeded to make an impression to his target readers (Certainly I am not included in that cluster of readers). The website www.bookish-brunette.com just admitted that they refuse to review books with ugly covers (or at least some with unprofessional book covers). They said that “Well as book reviewers/bloggers we receive tons of book review requests per week”. So given that instance, they cannot waste time on a book that cannot promise a decent reading experience (although some might actually be an exception in this policy, probably when it comes to a positive background of the certain book). See? So what would they prioritize first? Of course those books that looks legitimate, and their legitimacy more or less manifests in their book cover designs. Not convinced yet? Let me elaborate the benefits of a convincing book cover designs.

Benefits of a Good Book Cover Design

1.       Believe it or not, the chance of your book is just a matter of seconds when it comes into pulling the potential readers. Clue: A crappy design certainly won’t help (Can you fight the flashy design of “Beautiful Creatures” if you have a book cover design identical with the label of a Turpentine Chaser?). You have freedom. Make it as flashy as the fight scenes of the star wars movies or make it as revealing as those precious hearts romances novelettes that you can rent from the neighborhood’s sari-sari store for P5.00-a-day (oops, I mean romantic, not revealing… meh, I think I’d stick with the word revealing… if you know what I mean). You could also make it as strange as you can just like the post movie-showing version of one of those new teen-fiction books where a zombie is giving a flower to a blonde chick... man! Since when did necrophilia turned into a romantic endeavor?

2.       Curiosity is the real deal: Take this as an advantage. Bob Ong is one hell of a master in this style. His book “Alamat ng Gubat” is a good example (Although risky at the same time. If you want to know why, just read his explanation in his book “Stainless Longganisa”). He used a cartoon themed art in his cover with its title written in a very fancy typeface. It looked very childish, just the way he meant it. At first, you might just confuse it with some ridiculous children book, but by the time you discover that it is a piece of Bob Ong, you’ll understand why (You do know Bob Ong right?). The point here is that, sometimes, marketing the book is not all about that cheesy, flashy and exaggerated kind of cover art; sometimes giving it a little bit of enigmatic touch could prove wonders.

3.       Make a good first impression. With the right design, you can make them think about your book the way you wanted them. This is my problem with Chuck’s “Damned”. Although I certainly understood his point in having that kind of book cover design, my dilemma is the people around me. Don’t worry; I am not a dingbat. I have an eBook version of it. I just don’t want to be seen by everyone around me and get misinterpreted again so I didn’t get the hard copy version. Do you want to know where I downloaded it? Sorry folk, I don’t promote piracy.

4.       You can spoil your story in 10 seconds. A good book cover design could tell an hour of awesomeness trapped inside its pages.

5.       Lastly, in eBook version of your book. If you don’t have a book cover design, you’ll end up having your book displayed in myriad blue font together with other unfortunate souls like you (in worse cases, it will end up next to a colorful flash advertisement e.g. Watch Cebuana Girls in Live Cam, Earn 10$ per Month, Be A Working Mom and etc. It’s like having a sari-sari store next to a convenience store which is totally inconvenient). You get the idea of this right? Yeah, it’s bull crap. At least, if you have a book cover, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you can’t end up in this position.

                I know that the verdict still lies in the main content of the book. But we can never underestimate the power of the first impression and that totally relies in the cover design of the book. Do not waste the hard works spent in creating the contents of the manuscript and provide it with a cover as creative as the contents itself. I think that’s all for now. I don’t have anything left to say at all so, Potato potato potato potato potato….

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top Ad 728x90