Top Ad 728x90

19 August 2013

, , , , , ,

On The Flipside Of Davao City

Davao City Life Is Here
For over twenty-something years of existence, I barely see myself living in another place except Davao. It seems that the city has got it all covered for me: Beautiful beaches, mouthwatering cuisines, sophisticated musical bars, eye-gawking sights, etc. This is not to mention the hospitable Davaoeños who’ll embrace you with smiles and loveliness. Indeed, Davao city is an exceptional one–there’s no doubt about it. However, I can’t help, but notice some disturbing truths within the city–something that I became aware of since the past few years.  I guess these are just inconvenient realities we need to chance upon.


Truthfully, I’m inspired to write this article because of the fact that our city is celebrating its annual festivity, Kadayawan. At the same time, I’m fueled to let other people know what life here is in Davao. How they will literally experience the sleekness and calmness of life. One can find items that are of quality affordability, and this goes the same with food and beverages. Trust me, if you’re here in Davao, you’ll exactly see the difference especially if you came from Manila. If you want to be captivated by nature, there are a number of beaches and resorts to choose from. The traffic is not that heavy compared to other cities in the country. Plus, the fare is very handy whether you choose to ride a cab or a taxi (and even the pedicabs as well). Davao is simply a wonderland where you can enjoy and be like Alice.

On The Flipside Of Davao City

On the other hand, amongst these is the security that Davao city gives. And I bet the first names that you conceive are the Dutertes, right? Remember the kidnapped-for-ransom victim, Chua? She definitely knows the protection that the metropolitan can efficiently offer. Hence, she decided to have the money withdrawn here. Fortunately, as what we all expected, our local officials did a marvelous job. Hooray for that! Without a doubt, the city has been known for a lot of reason, and the list can go on.

However, I will not be elaborating on those areas; I’m pretty much eager to tackle the opposite.

Lately, we are experiencing day and night of raining–some are tremendous while some are not. But, rain is not a big deal for me. I don’t care if nature has its own way of returning the favor. It’s sadly inevitable. I’m more concern with the aftermath. Yes, the aftermath–flood, that is. After the clouds make a relentless cry, you’ll see its tears covering the whole of the city’s roads. Actually, I can still freshly remember how I spent my birthday last June. Instead of blowing candles and merry-making, I was out there wrestling with rainwater all over our compound. What’s worst, it went inside our house–the uninvited guest had entered. So, there I was, making the most out of it. Luckily, after almost six (6) hours of non-stop flood-wrestling, the rain stopped. I have to clean the house right after, though. At first, the issue about flood didn't get to my nerve–at least, for the moment. However, as the rainy days go by and my “Rain Rain Go Away” lullaby turned out to be ineffective, I fabricated a conclusion: THIS WILL NOT STOP. And yes, I was totally right. Each time the rain cries, rainwater makes a scene; embracing the roads (Roxas Avenue and Quezon Boulevard especially). It seems that there was a street-wide swimming pool. Eventually, you’ll see the inconvenient truth–floating slippers/shoes, stranded townspeople, stuck vehicles, etc.

Flood Rainwater In Davao City






















I do know that our local officials are doing a good job in keeping the city secured. I can’t acquit to that and I’m proud of it. However, there are things that they may want to review and reconsider. Seriously, I think it’s time that they mitigate the problems we have prior to flood. It does not just bring ghastly scenarios, but it also incorporates anxiety and discomfort. In fact, if this thing becomes worst, lives can be at stake. We simply don’t want to relive the past (imagine the Bangkal or Matina Aplaya incident). Although I’m not blaming the local government with what had happened (because there could be other reasons to why it occurred), their eyes might just be opened from that nightmare. Needless to say, we all know that flood issue here in Davao city are already present since the past few years. It has brought pain and headache to every Davaoeño including me. If they suppose that reconstructing the roads (R. Castillo and Boulevard) will be the sole answer, they need to revaluate. I suggest that they consider on upgrading the drainage system of the city. Or, reviewing other possible options that we can have in-order to fill the void will be a starting point. Personally, I’m aware that the government officials of Davao city are entirely exceptional men. And, they need not to be reminded of their fully-pledged duties. I’m just hoping that maybe, just maybe, they’ll take the time to cater the other needs of this wonderful place. After all, we are proud to proclaim that Davao city is where life is. I guess it’s just time to be consistent with it.

Oh, Happy Kadayawan!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top Ad 728x90