Top Ad 728x90

17 August 2013

, , , ,

The Chariot: A Musical Chivalry Ending

No, it is not the two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicle that you have possibly seen in movies with medieval themes and/or ancient warfare. I’m talking about this mathcore American band, The Chariot, based in Douglasville, Georgia. When I was yet to discover the depths of their music, I was more enticed with their showmanship in every show. Literally, you’ll see what I’m what trying to convey if you watch some of their live videos on YouTube. Or, if you were lucky enough to see The Chariot perform live on stage (which I wish I could’ve), you surely have seen a chaotic-yet-beautiful one. Nevertheless, this ever-neck-breaking-bone-twisting-guitar-smashing band, if I may name them, has to end its contagious musical chivalry.


"Thank you. To everyone on this planet Earth that has ever supported us, helped us, watched us, hung out with us, given us a place to stay, given food, prayed over us, loaned us equipment, advised us, booked us, or given us a chance, no matter how big or small...we are forever grateful." - The Chariot
You can watch their farewell video, "All's Well That Ends Well," here.

On their Facebook fan page, The Chariot bid their goodbyes through a video shared in their YouTube channel.  There were actually no lengthy speeches; it was just pure words wrapped in gratefulness. For over 10 years, the band has been known for its literally insane live performances. Yes, insane–literally, that is. Do you remember when they smash their guitars on the ground or throw them on air? Or, how about when Stevis wrapped his legs on the bars of the ceiling and was totally upside down while playing his guitar on one of their gigs? I can really imagine how they kill it on stage. Well, they seem not to mind it at all. In fact, these bizarre scenes were becoming part of their shows each time they perform live. And needless to say, has been a trademark that fans look forward every time The Chariot plays. I do wonder how much they spend on every broken musical instrument, though.

Stevis of the band The Chariot
I'm loving it here - Stevis


When I was still swimming in the shores of rock music (rock, for me, here is quite complex), the mathcore genre has been a stepping stone. I managed to inculcate some of its concepts in my mind, but I never drenched long enough for it to be my core music.  Anyway, when you say mathcore bands, The Chariot is presumably one of the names out there–without a doubt. Personally, their chaotic-yet-beautiful performance is the sole reason that lured me to The Chariot. I find their music very interesting too, of course. Their showmanship, however, inspired me as a musician and as a performer. You’ll certainly perceive the unfathomable passion they have for their music.  The ever-neck-breaking-bone-twisting-guitar-smashing band–that’s what The Chariot is to me. If medieval movies have Brad Pitt (Troy) as an icon, my musical valiance is The Chariot. Well, that’s how life is: There are endings. Hence we see The Chariot culminating the last chapter of their book–a good and insane one.

The Chariot Band with new member, Stevis
punknews.org



























By the way, Mel Gibson’s Braveheart has nothing compared to this band’s insane heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top Ad 728x90